Vote For Us

Top Sites
Vote For UWE
at Wrestling R Us Top 100 EFeds

Top Site
Ultimate Wrestling Entertainment
April 18, 2024, 11:30:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Results for Fight Night: Brutality are available here: http://uwe.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,11270.msg67758.html#new

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links UWE.com Staff List Login Register  

Cussing in roleplaying

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cussing in roleplaying  (Read 1288 times)
Stoner
UWE Upper Midcarder

« on: August 14, 2009, 07:24:48 pm »

Okie dokie.

I know we're all mature enough to be able to have this conversation without being total assholes at one another, right?  My reasons for making this thread aren't to definitively decide if we should or should not cuss, its for us to give our reasoning on our logic.

And please, for the love of Christ, remember that just because a person does not have the same opinion as you it does not mean you have to go off on them.  If this sentence is applicable to you, you know it.

Okie dokie.

Obviously, I'm of the belief that cussing is fine in roleplays.  Before when I did it, I would edit the word out with a "****" type thing or something.  Once I thought up the Brain Filters thing though all bets were off.  I justify Stoner cussing a lot by the fact that he's a Texan.  If you've ever been here, you know what I'm talking about.  Its literally a part of our speech patterns down here.  (I can't find my mother **** car keys, that **** was funny, why the **** was I not informed you were bisexual, etc)

But, keeping that in mind, Stoner never directly cusses at his opponents.  Since he's a face, I feel like stepping into a person's grill and saying "I'm gonna **** your **** all up after sticking it in your mom's ass" would be the wrong way to go.  Its a rather dickish thing to say, and one that in real life is kinda hard to say without being an ass.  I've yet to figure a way out anyway.  (But once I do!)

Report Spam   Logged

Former World Champ, Former Tag Champ (undefeated w/ Anj), Former 2x **** Champ, Longest Reigning **** Champ

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Baron Von Jihad
UWE Upper Midcarder

Win/Loss: Too many wins, not enough losses.

FALCON PUNCH!

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:28:36 pm »

so the point of this was to... what?
Report Spam   Logged

Stoner
UWE Upper Midcarder

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 07:30:20 pm »

I didn't notice the already 8 replies in roleplay up t here.  I was trying to keep what happened without me noticing from happening.
Report Spam   Logged

Former World Champ, Former Tag Champ (undefeated w/ Anj), Former 2x **** Champ, Longest Reigning **** Champ
Baron Von Jihad
UWE Upper Midcarder

FALCON PUNCH!

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:12 pm »

And that'd be... what? A discussion between members on swear-words in roleplays?

Not the biggest deal in the world.
Report Spam   Logged

NickRiot
Showdown Superstar
UWE Trainee

wiki Page : http://ewrestling.wikia.com/NickRiot

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:48:24 pm »

And that'd be... what? A discussion between members on swear-words in roleplays?

True, it may not be the Biggest deal in the world, but it's one I think we should address. I see what Stoner's saying, and it makes perfect sense.

No matter your alignment, you still should use cursing in a taseful manner. If that was to happen, I don't think this thread, or the whole Ryan Cox RP thread would've happened, either.

My opinion is this: If your a heel, curse. But, curse tastefully I.E- "Come Showdown, I'm gonna kick your ass!". Now, a tasteless manner would be something like "Come Showdown, I'm gonna kick your motherfucking ass ****"...Christ. Stop cussing like your in sixth grade with your RP's.

I've read a few RP's, in my very little time in UWE, and I have to say, you guys do a good job in terms of keeping them classy. But, some stuff today, made me stop reading after a little while.
Report Spam   Logged

"Thats worse fate than being ass raped by The Big Show." -Blaze

UWE Career Highlights:

-UWE 24/7 **** Champion
-UWE **** Champion
-UWE Light Heavyweight Champion
-UWE Champion
Baron Von Jihad
UWE Upper Midcarder

FALCON PUNCH!

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:52:35 pm »

i.e. Baine and Cox? Don't be afraid to name names.

I think what it comes down to is the character. If you're a New Yorker in 1983, you're going to cuss your balls off. Especially if you're not that intelligent to begin with. That's just how it works, but since no one here is playing a New York Cabbie in 1983, that point becomes kind of moot.

X-TREEEEEME CUZZIN' can be used effectively to heighten the emotional drama/tension of a roleplay, but then that needs to be used sparingly so that it does not lose its effectiveness.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:58:51 pm by Baron Von Overlord » Report Spam   Logged

8FOR!3
UWE Trainee

Win/Loss: 2/1

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:52:56 pm »

Being a Texan isn't an excuse, I'm from Texas too. But obviously this isn't that big of a deal. It's not that hard to limit the cussing and if that's what everybody wants, it's all good. I'll do it next time.
Report Spam   Logged

Quentin Barnes
UWE Midcarder

Win/Loss: Pay Per View (0 Win 0 Lose) Televised (4 Wins, 1 Losses, 0 Draw) Dark Match (0 Win 0 Loss)

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 08:00:27 pm »

Swearing is not a face/heel thing... The words themselves are not the issue, it's the way in which they are used. That's been my point all along... Telling a fellow "face" to shut his **** mouth is not a very facish thing to do...

Telling a heel opponent that he's an **** is fine, swearing because you're mad is fine, it happens, it's realistic...

The point is, swearing to the extreme and swearing at other guys who are apparantly fan favourites does not put you over as a face. It makes your character look like a prick who doesn't know how to express himself.
Report Spam   Logged

Wins - 4 Lose - 1 Draw - 0
Streak - -1[/center]
NickRiot
Showdown Superstar
UWE Trainee

wiki Page : http://ewrestling.wikia.com/NickRiot

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:01:38 pm »

Swearing is not a face/heel thing... The words themselves are not the issue, it's the way in which they are used. That's been my point all along... Telling a fellow "face" to shut his **** mouth is not a very facish thing to do...

Telling a heel opponent that he's an **** is fine, swearing because you're mad is fine, it happens, it's realistic...

The point is, swearing to the extreme and swearing at other guys who are apparantly fan favourites does not put you over as a face. It makes your character look like a prick who doesn't know how to express himself.

Agreed.
Report Spam   Logged

"Thats worse fate than being ass raped by The Big Show." -Blaze

UWE Career Highlights:

-UWE 24/7 **** Champion
-UWE **** Champion
-UWE Light Heavyweight Champion
-UWE Champion
Star
Captain Ho
UWE Trainee

Win/Loss: 4/0

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 08:15:11 pm »

To be 100% honest it isn't the whole cussing thing. I didn't know Ryan Cox was face and I didn't know Baine was either but it's not because they used profanity. In my opinion they just don't seem like faces. The characters just don't come across as face characters. They seem more tweener/heel. Faces aren't always goody goody but they do carry themselves a certain way.
Report Spam   Logged

Stoner
UWE Upper Midcarder

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »

Being a Texan isn't an excuse, I'm from Texas too. But obviously this isn't that big of a deal. It's not that hard to limit the cussing and if that's what everybody wants, it's all good. I'll do it next time.

Its plenty excuse as far as I'm concerned.  Cheesy

No, it'd be the complete distraction from a roleplay in the conversation that follows it.  Quentin prevented it from happening in the Baine rp thread by requesting for it to not continue there, and I was providing a place to prevent it from happening to any other roleplays.  A form of circumvention I suppose.

If you'd rather have people responding to a roleplay and not actually commenting on the roleplay in question a billion times I'll save myself some effort next time though.
Report Spam   Logged

Baron Von Jihad
UWE Upper Midcarder

FALCON PUNCH!

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 08:51:58 pm »

Once again, doesn't bother me.

Perhaps because I always thought the idea of posting in a roleplay thread when you aren't supposed to was silly, but that's just my wackiness.
Report Spam   Logged

Stoner
UWE Upper Midcarder

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 09:09:45 pm »

Perhaps because I always thought the idea of posting in a roleplay thread when you aren't supposed to was silly, but that's just my wackiness.

qft

I'm guilty of it from time to time, but I try not to do it too much.
Report Spam   Logged

Baine
Showdown Superstar
UWE Superstar

Win/Loss: 31/13/1

IDK.. random text

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 12:05:26 am »

Wow... didn't even know we had a thread on this. Niiiiiiiiiiice.  Afro

But ummm? Why am I brought into this?? I'll I said was that this is how my character is like. Baine loves cussing. That's just how he is. Man... I can't imagine him NOT cussing. lmao

Anyway, Im not saying anybody has a problem with it but that's just how I type. I have to use cuss words. If you feel offended get over it because that's bascially the WHOLE entire point right? I mean you're suppose to trash talk to each other. Now if you didn't, what would be the sense of role-playing? Do you see where im getting at this?

Anyway, glad I got that off my chest!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Info about Baine:
W-L-D
31-16-1
Retired Wrestler
My wiki profile:
http://ewrestling.wikia.com/wiki/Baine
Baron Von Jihad
UWE Upper Midcarder

FALCON PUNCH!

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 12:10:10 am »

the point of roleplaying is to, get this, play a role. That, for some, can include being a ****-wipe, and for others, pretending they're a big bad ex-detective who also wrestles on the side. So no, calling your opponent a douche bag doesn't really factor into it, if we're talking the meaning of "roleplaying".

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: