Vote For Us

Top Sites
Vote For UWE
at Wrestling R Us Top 100 EFeds

Top Site
Ultimate Wrestling Entertainment
March 28, 2024, 12:45:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Finally, congratulations to Efinn Rox for becoming UWE Champion

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links UWE.com Staff List Login Register  

World Cup 2010

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 354 times)
Ahriman
Showdown Superstar
UWE Trainee

« on: June 11, 2010, 11:45:41 am »

0K so i am not a big time fan of Soccer/Football which ever you call it but i am rather interested in the World Cup and i am looking to follow it for the first time this year. My question is what are some things i should be looking for, which countries stand the best chance at winning this thing. I will be watching the US matches as long as their in lol, really just looking for how people think it will turn out and who are the teams to watch.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 12:14:44 pm by Ahriman » Report Spam   Logged

Accomplishments:
Career record (12-3-0)
XGW = 8-1-0
WWFI = 2-1-0(inactive)
UWE = 2-1-0

Titles -

WWFI TV champion (6/25/10-7/16/10)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Greenbean
The Kingpin
Administrator
UWE Great

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 12:36:48 pm »

I have been looking forward to this for four years, ever since Portugal eliminated England on penalties in the last World Cup. England really has got World Cup fever, every house and every car has an England flag hanging from it and it's really something that unites the country, it's even better because we do stand a legitimate chance of winning the tournament.

Many people consider Spain to be the favorites, and with good reason. On paper, they have not only the best first team, but the best squad so don't be surprised to see them up there at the end. Then we have Argentina who have Leo Messi playing for them, Messi is officially the best player in the World, Portugal have Cristiano Ronaldo who was voted Player of the Season the year before and although they don't have the greatest of teams you can never discount both Brazil and Germany.

All that being said, and with me being biased, I'm still betting on England. We have Wayne Rooney who is just out of this World, he epitomizes English football. With the support of Lampard and Gerrard too, England I believe stand as good a chance as any of winning it. 
Report Spam   Logged

William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

Win/Loss: Yet to debut

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 12:53:10 am »

Well unlike the Bossman above, i can't be bias since Sweden messed up and failed to qualify for the Cup. So I can look at this Cup with an open mind; which I would have done even if Sweden would have been in South Africa, because we played boring type of football.

I feel that, just as Beanie, that Spain dnot only has the best starting 11, but also the best squad. They are probably the only team that can put two different teams on the field and they'd still have world class players. The spanish head coach have nothing more than pleasant problems on figuring out who should play.

The biggest competition for them probably is Brazil that always can put a world class 11 on the field, but most of the time that is where it ends. they don't have the depth that Spain has. And also their stars from the past, Kaka and Ronaldhino ain't what they used to be, both with not that good seasons behind them.

But I think that the final can be a european show down, with the Netherlands on the opposite side. They've always had a good team in every tournament, world cup as in european championship, but haven't really been able to go all the way. But this time they have a damn good team with many players that are key players in their club teams.

My outsiders would be:
Germany, who I don't feel is as good as they could be and they've also had some injuries on key players before the cup.
England the cursed team that always gets eliminated due to penalties or due to crappy goaltending. And with Ferdinand out with injury it can become difficult. Gerrard and Rooney will have to lead the team ad do what they do absolute best if they are to have a chance.
Argentina. Now I am probably one of few that might see Maradona as anot only a great player, but also the greatest cheater in the history of the game, with the hand of God and also getting caught using steroid's in '94. I have a hard time seeing him leading Messi to win the cup, because he lacks routine and he barely got the team through to the cup to start with.

Also, after looking at the groups. I must say that the US team has a good chance on going through to the knock out stage and then a good chance on getting to the 1/4-finals, depending on them winning the group and not ending in 2nd place, because I feel that group is between England and the US. Whoever ends up in 2nd will probably end up facing Germany in the 1/8-finals, and that will be a tough one.
Report Spam   Logged

Pyro & Drigo
Showdown Superstar
UWE Midcarder

Win/Loss: 0-0

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:32:04 am »

Fail British goalie is fail.
Report Spam   Logged

TheWho87™ [bWo]
Commissioner of Food & Beverage
UWE Great

Win/Loss: 17-20-1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:17:48 am »

I guess you mean this

I will say its a bad goal to conceed but on top of that the ball i felt was acting very weird at some points and it was pointed out before the games that their was alot of people against the balls although you can also chalk it up to bad experience, but the opening game for england has never been good, we drew in 66 and 90, two of our best years so you never know
Report Spam   Logged

Pyro & Drigo
Showdown Superstar
UWE Midcarder

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:23:40 am »

I guess you mean this

I will say its a bad goal to conceed but on top of that the ball i felt was acting very weird at some points and it was pointed out before the games that their was alot of people against the balls although you can also chalk it up to bad experience, but the opening game for england has never been good, we drew in 66 and 90, two of our best years so you never know
I don't care if the ball is remote controlled, nobody should let that in.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Ahriman
Showdown Superstar
UWE Trainee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:15:36 am »

No shame in a draw, both teams got ground to build on now. And i got to agree with TheWho87, they changed the ball so frequently and their is no way it was rigged. Just lucky shot for the US and a bad defend attempt on the goalkeeper. For this being the first time watching the cup i must say its been more entertaining then i ever would have expected.
Report Spam   Logged

Accomplishments:
Career record (12-3-0)
XGW = 8-1-0
WWFI = 2-1-0(inactive)
UWE = 2-1-0

Titles -

WWFI TV champion (6/25/10-7/16/10)
William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 11:08:20 am »

Blaming the ball is just weak. I've heard it before the Cup from different goalkeepers, saying that it feels like a ball you buy on a gas station. There is always a new design for the ball before each World Cup and European Championship and there is always players complaining. This ball is made to behave irregular during its flight through the air to really test the goalies.

That being said, I don't think you can blame the ball in this situation. That should be a basic save from Green. But then again english goalies have a hard time with easy balls coming towards them...remember this...

Report Spam   Logged

Greenbean
The Kingpin
Administrator
UWE Great

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 12:07:56 pm »

Blaming the ball is a terrible excuse. A ball is a ball at the end of the day and there's not very much difference between them. Robert Green is a professional goalkeeper getting paid thousands per week, things like that should be his bread and butter, there's no excuse whatsoever for letting a shot like that go in, from a young age your taught to get your body behind the ball for shots and he did not do that. David James should be our number one, he's experience and we need a keeper we can rely on.

That being said, no disrespect to USA, England should be scoring more than one goal. If we're to be considered favourites then we should be controlling games like that. Instead, I thought USA got their tactics spot on last night, they played well, kept Rooney quiet for the most part which was vital for America to succeed. I think we definitely missed Rio Ferdinand's calmness at the back and last night proved, without a shadow of a doubt, that Gerrard and Lampard cannot play in centre midfield together.

Still, USA are the toughest opponents in England's group and we're still expected to qualify in first place, I just hope our level of performance picks up as the tournament progresses.
Report Spam   Logged

TheWho87™ [bWo]
Commissioner of Food & Beverage
UWE Great

Win/Loss: 17-20-1

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 03:18:46 am »

Oh....My...God!

Report Spam   Logged

Blaze
Official Spokesman for Jump Energy
Showdown Superstar
UWE Upper Midcarder

Win/Loss: 6-1

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:16:33 am »

It's the New York Daily News...I think that's been a little over dramatic, right there...

...and think about it. Did many foresee much other than an England win going into that? I doubt it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pyro & Drigo
Showdown Superstar
UWE Midcarder

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 04:19:59 am »

They're saying USA wins because England practically invented football and should beat them 'mericans at it.
Report Spam   Logged

William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 07:02:07 am »

David James should be our number one, he's experience and we need a keeper we can rely on.

I'm sorry...David James...Mr. Soaphands? James ain't exactly someone that you can rely on. true when he has his peaks he can be awesome, but then he can fall deep into an abyss of bad decissions and weak performances. He's not that even, not in my eyes, that he could give England the stabillity they need.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: