Vote For Us

Top Sites
Vote For UWE
at Wrestling R Us Top 100 EFeds

Top Site
Ultimate Wrestling Entertainment
March 28, 2024, 07:07:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Finally, congratulations to Efinn Rox for becoming UWE Champion

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links UWE.com Staff List Login Register  

General football talk...soccer that is.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General football talk...soccer that is.  (Read 869 times)
William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

Win/Loss: Yet to debut

« on: June 11, 2009, 08:38:49 pm »

Thought that having a general thread where anything can be discussed about this lovely game could be in place. That way nothing about it can go of topic, as long as it is about football/soccer.

So is there anyone out ther following the world cup qualifiers that, opposite me, think that Sweden can pull this through. Having to win every single game they have left and hope that results go their way?
me I think not. Said from the day I say the group that Sweden was toast and denmark and Portugal would pull this one through.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Quentin Barnes
UWE Midcarder

Win/Loss: Pay Per View (0 Win 0 Lose) Televised (4 Wins, 1 Losses, 0 Draw) Dark Match (0 Win 0 Loss)

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:04:23 pm »

I've always given Sweden a lot of respect... Mainly down to the fact that England haven't beaten them in god knows how long. I was always a fan of Henrik Larson, Olaf Melberg and Marcus Allback. Tomas Brolin was more of a Swedish legend that anything else (god help the Tomas Brolin from his Leeds days). Ravelli was a much better keeper than he was given credit for, Niclas Alexanderson should have been more successful than what he was, Martin Dahlin and Roland Nilsson were vastly underated.

Over the years the Sweden team has been much better than what they've acheived.
Report Spam   Logged

Wins - 4 Lose - 1 Draw - 0
Streak - -1[/center]
William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:12:20 pm »

I think that Sweden is in need of a manager change. I mean we've had the same manager for 7 years now, but he started out as ass. manager in 98; so 11 years with the same coach ain't to good. Sure he has taken Sweden to more play offs than any manager before him but still...10 years?
Can you imagine England, Spain or Italy have the same coach for 10 years?
Report Spam   Logged

Quentin Barnes
UWE Midcarder

Win/Loss: Pay Per View (0 Win 0 Lose) Televised (4 Wins, 1 Losses, 0 Draw) Dark Match (0 Win 0 Loss)

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:24:26 pm »

I honestly think you could do a lot worse than Sven Goran Eriksson. I think his time with England was vastly underated, he lost 5 competitive games in his whole time as Manager, 2 were on Penelties against Portugal, 1 against France, 1 against Brazil. The only game in which we looked truly awful was a 1-0 loss against Northern Ireland. 5 losses in 3 Qualifying campaigns and 3 tournements... Not a bad set of results.

He should never have been sacked by Man City and, to be honest, he's probably been manager of the worst Mexico team for years.
Report Spam   Logged

Streak - -1[/center]
William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 09:29:20 pm »

Probably. I think however that the real problem Sweden has a team is that they seek to build a game plan and have players adapt to that plan. What they should do is build up a game plan and tactic around Ibrahimovic, because honestly there isn't a a player in that team near him. He shoudn't have to adapt to the team tactics, the team tactics should adapt to him.
Portugal builds their game around Ronaldo, France built there game around Zidane when he played, other teams acknowledge their stars and build around them...except Sweden.
Report Spam   Logged

Quentin Barnes
UWE Midcarder

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 09:34:07 pm »

But to be fair, he's a cut above most for the Inter team and they don't build their tactics around him either. I look at the game in which Liverpool played Inter... They played him up front on his own because they were worried Torres would catch them on the break. What happened? They isolated their best player on the pitch and Torres caught them on the break. Irony was not their friend.
Report Spam   Logged

Streak - -1[/center]
William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 09:41:04 pm »

Well it is a bit different in a team where you have 11 worldclass players. There he doesn't have to be the center of things. The swedish national team doesn't have 10 other players of world class caliber, not even 10 players of top european quality.
Report Spam   Logged

???
UWE Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:43:14 pm »

Excuse my American ignorance, but what the hell are Real Madrid doing with his insane spending crazy. My god, not even the Yankees spend this much on players. Is it that another team from Spain won it all, and now they're desperate to not be the second best team in Spain?

Tell me!!

PS. Ronaldo is now **** Paris Hilton, ewwww!
Report Spam   Logged

William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:48:44 pm »

You are correct. FC Barcelona won the league (La Liga), the Spanish Cup (Cup de reyes) and also the Champions League (the European cup for club teams). So you are rather spot on there Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Quentin Barnes
UWE Midcarder

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 10:51:47 pm »

The other issue with Madrid is that they are the team that the Spanish Royal Family support... Thus, they have had their Training Complex purchased off them by the country on several occassions and "rented" back at a ridiculously low cost in order to service their debt. As such, they can spend what they want knowing the country will bail them out...

There will be more before the end of the summer... However, what they have never grasped is that the best players do not necessarily be the best team. They've always done this and it's been, in recent years especially, not been successful!
Report Spam   Logged

Streak - -1[/center]
???
UWE Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 10:54:06 pm »

So basically they are the Yankees of European Football.
Report Spam   Logged

William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 11:02:48 pm »

Not really. We do have a few teams in Europe that can do exactly the same thing. Real Madrid is however the only team that gets desperate enough to do this type of deal. Just look at the last couple of days:
Kaka, from Milan for 90 million dollars
David Villa, from Valencia for 60 million dollars
Cristiano Ronaldo, from Manchester United for 130 million dollars (A world record transfer fee in the world of football/soccer)
Report Spam   Logged

???
UWE Rookie

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 11:12:12 pm »

That's what I meant. The Yankees aren't the only ones to spend a ton to buy top of the line players. But they get desperate every year they don't win the championship and waaaay over pay for the top line free agents.
Report Spam   Logged

Quentin Barnes
UWE Midcarder

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 11:13:53 pm »

Yeah... Chelsea, Man City, Barcelona, Roma, Inter... But outside of Spain/Italy/England there aren't many teams that could spend that much...

Zenit Saint Petersburg have some decent money... And Bayern Munich are worth a lot, but I'd say they were the richest clubs...

Report Spam   Logged

Streak - -1[/center]
William Russell
Showdown Superstar
UWE Main Eventer

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 11:16:14 pm »

Then yeah, Real Madrid is at least Spains Yankees. The thing is, and this is something that never seem to go wrong, there is always atleast one of the multi million purchases that are major let downs in the club. So it will be intresting to see what happens with these three. Will they all be home runs or wil one or more be strike outs...to blend in some baseball lingo  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: